UAE. The schools of the future will be vastly different in 2020, with more of a focus on Blended Learning according to speakers from some of the top technology companies in the world.
Blended learning combines traditional face-to-face classroom methods with computer-mediated activities. Formerly, technology-based materials played a supporting role to face-to-face instruction. Through a blended learning approach, technology will be increasingly more important.
Speakers from technology giants Apple and Cisco were speaking at Dubai based GEMS Education’s annual global management conference. GEMS gathered its senior management team from around the world, including school principals, to examine the future of education and schools out to 2020. GEMS Education is an international education company and the largest kindergarten to grade 12 private education provider in the world.
The conference entitled: ‘Leading the Change: Creating a 21st Century Education’ was held to explore leading edge thinking about the future out to 2020, to examine the potential consequences within the educational landscape, and to consider how the company would
‘lead the change’ in order to take advantage of the opportunities that lay ahead.
Guest speakers included:
- World renowned futurist, Richard Watson who helps individuals and organisations to think ahead, with a particular focus on megatrends and scenario planning in an increasing globalized world.
- Dr. Rabih Dabboussi of Cisco on technology innovations. Cisco Systems, Inc. is an American multinational corporation headquartered in San Jose, California, United States, that designs, manufactures, and sells networking equipment.
- Prof. Vijay Kumar of MIT, Senior Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education and Director, Office of Educational Innovation and Technology Vijay provides leadership
for sustainable technology-enabled educational innovation at MIT
- Herve Marchet –Apple's director of EMEA education markets. Responsible for developing Apple products which inspire creativity and hands-on learning that are easy to integrate into a curriculum.
- Lord Andrew Adonis - A British academic, educationalist, journalist and Labour Life PeerFollowing his appointment to the House of Lords, Lord Adonis became a Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Schools and Learners in the Department for Education and Skills (later the Department for Children, Schools and Families). From 2000 until 2008 - in No. 10 and as Minister for Schools - he was both the architect and the driving force behind the academies programme.
The Group Chief Operating Officer at GEMS Education, William Wellesley said the conference provided its key leaders with the opportunity to understand and explore the trends and probabilities of what the future of education might look like out to 2020.
Mr. Wellesley said, “GEMS is exporting education to the world from Dubai and in order to stay ahead of our competitors our leadership team must understand the trends that are defining future teaching and learning practices. There is a digitally - driven revolution happening in education and we are strategically planning our approach based on that digitalisation.”
Photo: World renowned futurist, Richard Watson.
About GEMS Education:
GEMS Education has a global network of award winning schools. With over 50 years of experience in education, GEMS provides high quality holistic education to over 100,000 students from over 150 countries. It employs over 10,000 education professionals, specialists and staff from around the world. The GEMS approach to learning focuses not only on academic excellence, but also in helping students develop their character and creativity so that they achieve their full potential as human beings.
The GEMS Education school model is unique in the world because it offers a broad range of curricula across a range of tuition fees making private education more accessible to the broader community.
GEMS Education also supports Governments’ education reform agenda by working with Ministries of Education to lift school performance and improve the standards and expertise of government schools across the globe. GEMS Education has offices in the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, India and Singapore.