UAE. Etihad Rail – the master developer and operator of the UAE’s national railway network – today unveiled the approved livery for its locomotives.
The locomotives will be finished in a durable light grey paint scheme, relieved with broad red bands and the Etihad Rail logo situated near the middle of the body line. The decision follows a Board of Directors meeting chaired by His Excellency Nasser Al Sowaidi, Chairman of Etihad Rail.
Commenting on the chosen design, Nasser Al Sowaidi, Chairman of Etihad Rail, stated: “We are very proud to share the approved livery for our locomotives. The livery is aligned with Etihad Rail’s established brand identity, which incorporates the colours of the UAE flag as a symbol of national pride and unity.”
U.S.-based Electro-Motive Diesel (EMD) – one of the world’s leading manufacturers of diesel-electric locomotives – was awarded the contract to deliver the locomotives for Stage One of the rail network in the summer of 2011. Delivery of the locomotives is scheduled for the end of 2012, and will support the inaugural service of transporting granulated sulphur from Shah and Habshan to Ruwais. Three locomotives will haul trains of up to 110 wagons, with each train carrying up to 11,000 tonnes of sulphur.
Etihad Rail is developing a 266km route in the Western Region that will carry up to 22,000 tonnes of granulated sulphur daily from sources in Shah and Habshan for export at the port of Ruwais. This route marks the first phase of the 1,200km mixed-traffic network that will span across the Emirates – providing a modern, safe, and efficient method of transport for both freight and passengers. The Etihad Rail network will also link the UAE to Saudi Arabia via Ghweifat in the west and Oman via Al Ain in the east.
About Etihad Rail
Etihad Rail was established in June 2009 under Federal Law no. 2, with a mandate to manage the development, construction and operation of the UAE’s national freight and passenger railway network.
The railway network will be built in phases to link the principal centres of population and industry of the UAE, as well as to form a vital part of the planned GCC railway network linking the six countries of the GCC.
Built to international standards, Etihad Rail’s state of the art network will act as a catalyst for economic growth and sustained social development. Once complete, the railway will redefine logistics and transport in the region, providing a modern, safe, efficient, sustainable network that will connect all regions of the UAE, and the UAE to its wider GCC neighbouring countries.
Etihad Rail has recently announced a number of contract awards for Stage one including:
• The Civil & Track Works contract was awarded to a consortium comprising Italy’s Saipem, Tecnimont and UAE-based Dodsal Engineering and Construction
• The Project Management Consultant (PMC) contract which was awarded to joint venture Parsons-Aecom
• PCM Strescon Ventures was awarded the contract for the provision of railway sleepers. The Indian-based company will be responsible for the provision of railway sleepers in a purpose-built sleeper manufacturing facility at our rail head
• Electro-Motive Diesel, from North America, was assigned to deliver seven locomotives custom-built for desert conditions by 2012
• CSR Corporation Limited China was appointed to supply 240 covered hopper wagons for the movement of granulated sulphur in the Western Region