Qatar's QInvest may own majority of new bank with EFG-Hermes
Source: BI-ME with Bloomberg , Author: Posted by BI-ME staff
Posted: Fri April 27, 2012 12:44 pm
china wholesale market

QATAR. EFG-Hermes Holding SAE said Qatar’s QInvest LLC may hold a majority stake in a planned investment bank that would take over the Egyptian bank’s brokerage, investment banking and asset management businesses.

The investment bank would be the largest in "the Arab World, Africa, Turkey, South and South East Asia, with the possibility of QInvest holding majority stake," Cairo-based EFG-Hermes said in a statement today.

QInvest, a unit of Qatar Islamic Bank (QIBK), concluded talks to buy a 60% stake in EFG- Hermes, Egypt’s Al Shorouk newspaper reported yesterday, citing an unidentified person familiar with the talks.

The investment may help EFG-Hermes ride Egypt’s worst political and economic crisis in at least 30 years after last year’s popular uprising. Profit of the largest publicly traded Arab investment bank slumped 81% slump in 2011 and its shares plunged 63 percent, under-performing the benchmark index.

The shares gained 9% yesterday, the most since November29, to 14.01 pounds at the 2:30 p.m. close in Cairo, valuing the company at 6.7 billion pounds (US$1.1 billion).

“The anticipated valuation and possible cash dividend payment are the main drivers of the shares,” said Mohamed Radwan, head of equities at Pharos Holding for Financial Investment in Cairo.

Founded in 1984, EFG-Hermes has operations in countries including the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Oman, according to its website. It employs more than 1,000 people, it said.

QInvest, which got a license to operate in 2007, is based in Qatar, the world’s biggest exporter of liquefied natural gas, whose economy expanded at the fastest pace in the world for the past two years, according to International Monetary Fund estimates. Qatar’s economy is picking up as the Persian Gulf nation prepares to host the 2022 soccer World Cup.

EFG-Hermes said its private equity business and Lebanese commercial bank Credit Libanais SAL, in which it bought a 65% stake in 2010, are excluded from the discussions.

“It is not yet clear to us how the structure will be out in place,” said Jaap Meijer, director of equity research at Arqaam Capital Ltd. in Dubai.

“QInvest may do an offer for 60% of the shares, with EFG selling Credit Libanais, or alternatively buy 60% of the investment banking platform, leaving EFG with a 40% minority.”

Credit Libanais dismissed a report that EFG-Hermes may sell its stake, Al-Akhbar newspaper reported April 21. The appointment of EFG-Hermes co-chief executive officers Hassan Heikal and Yasser Al Mallawany to the board of Credit Libanais indicates EFG-Hermes’s intention to retain the stake, Al-Akhbar said, citing the information office of the Lebanese bank’s chairman.

 

MIDDLE EAST BUSINESS COMMENT & ANALYSIS

date:Posted: January 31, 2015
QATAR. In the end, monetary policy can be powerful in the short-term but is unlikely to change the long-term predicament of the Euro Area. The ECB may succeed in preventing prolonged deflation from taking hold, but this is a not a sufficient condition for sustainable growth.
date:Posted: January 30, 2015
INTERNATIONAL. Western politicians wishing to see a genuine resolution of Iran's nuclear crisis must continue with diplomatic efforts to isolate those among the Iranian rulers who wish for the collapse of the negotiations.
date:Posted: January 30, 2015
SAUDI ARABIA. Often businesses will seek to explore the market through a partner or a third party with which employees are placed and through which they seek to operate in the Kingdom.
QATAR. In the end, monetary policy can be powerful in the short-term but is unlikely to change the long-term predicament of the Euro Area. The ECB may succeed in preventing prolonged deflation from taking hold, but this is a not a sufficient condition for sustainable growth.
dhgate